Sunday, September 30, 2012

Apple-Pear Crisp

I have a small obsession with the food network,  and this recipe I saw on Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa show.  It sounds so easy to make, and so delicious, I had to try it.  I had to make some tweaks to it though, I made it lactose free, and made a larger batch.  So, here is the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 pears
4 apples
1 teaspoon orange zest (I didn't measure, just guesstimated)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons orange juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

*When using spices, I personally don't measure. I LOVE cinnamon and nutmeg, so I just sprinkle in a lot.  Also, a tip when juicing a lemon with your hands: Have the inside facing up, so no seeds sneak out!

Topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oatmeal
8 tablespoons COLD, cubed butter

 It is very important that the butter is very COLD, and cubed, if using a stick.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any sticks of vegan butter, so I had to use spreadable.  Cube it, and keep it in the fridge or freezer while prepping everything else.  Take it out at the last second.
If using spreadable, you may need a bit more.  I just checked my Crisp halfway through cooking, and put more butter in spots I could tell needed it.



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel, core and cut the pears and apples into large chunks.  Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix with a spoon until fruit is covered with all ingredients.  Pour into pie dish.



For the topping:

First, I wanted to share the type of oats I use. I LOVE them, they're small. And for this container, it's only a $1 at Walmart!


Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles (yes, it will be a bit loose).  Sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering completely.




Place the baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly.



Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment