Friday, May 18, 2012

Allergen-Free Restaurants

I figured I'd start a post, with restaurants who have allergen-free menus.  The hardest part of having a food allergy/intolerance, has been eating out.  What can or can't I eat?  Will the restaurant even have an allergen free menu to view?  Well, I decided to create a list of restaurants that I have gone to and eaten at personally, who not only have a menu for me to choose from, but an accommodating staff that seems concerned about making your experience reaction free.  While most restaurants state it's tough to not fully prevent any cross contamination, there are some who seem to go above and beyond to help stop that.

Applebee's -  They had a great allergen-free menu when I asked for it.  They had a binder, and a bunch of pages broken down by specific allergy, egg, wheat, dairy, etc.  There was a lot to choose from, and I was able to enjoy my meal incidence free.  The only downfall is, the waiter I had never asked me once what my allergy was and even asked me why I wasn't eating the mozzarella sticks my friends were enjoying, even after I explained he didn't seem concerned.  I'm hoping this was just this particular waiter, since they seemed to take the time to produce menus for allergies.  I don't eat here often, so we shall see. 

Chilli's -  I had dinner here with some friends, it was my first time eating out after I found out I was lactose-intolerant.  I actually was able to print a dairy free menu right from their website!  The waitress saw the sheet, and asked me what my allergy was.  The manager later came over and asked which person had an allergy, then what dish I ordered.  He later brought the dish out to me personally.  They definitely were accommodating to people with allergies, and had a fair amount of dishes to choose from.  I'd definitely go back here.

Red Robin- Awesome! I asked for an allergy menu, and they had an entire binder, broken down by allergies. I was able to enjoy a hamburger with no lactose. :)  They also offer Vegan and Veggie burgers for those interested.   The manager brought my dish out to me personally here too, and double checked my allergy before even giving me my food.  Another great restaurant to try!

I'll update this post as often as I can, I cook more than I eat out, but here are a few to try for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment