Thursday, November 22, 2012

Dairy and Egg Free Pumpkin Pie


This is my first Thanksgiving since finding out I'm lactose intolerant, and wondered how tough it was going to be for me to eat.  I always bring dessert, and my pumpkin pie is always requested.  While figuring out what to do for ingredients, I decided to make it egg free as well, to share with other allergy families.  The crust I made is also allergen friendly, and SUPER easy to make.  I included the recipe to it below, as well. :) 

Here are the recipes that will hopefully help you enjoy a delicious pumpkin pie, allergy free! 

Easy Pie Crust
Yields: 1 Crust
Ingredients:
1 cup & 2 tablespoons flour
3/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, well chilled
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water

*The trick to making the perfect crust is cold butter.  So, before I start baking, I cut the butter into cubes, then stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  I take it out at the complete last minute.

1.       Place flour and salt in mixer bowl.  Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer.  Turn to Stir Speed and mix about 15 seconds.  Add chilled butter to flour mixture.  Stir and mix until butter is the size of small peas, about 30 to 45 seconds.
2.     Continuing on stir speed, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to hold together.  Pat dough into a smooth ball and flatten slightly.  Wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes or more.
3.     Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness between sheets of waxed paper.  Ease into pie plate, then press firmly into bottom and sides.




Pumpkin Pie
Yields: 1 Pie
Ingredients:
1 15oz can of Pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 ½ cups Coffee Mate Pumpkin Spice Creamer
½ cup your favorite Dairy Free Milk
½ cup Brown Sugar
Cinnamon (I never measure, my secret is to always use a bunch)
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 tablespoons Cornstarch
3 tablespoons Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese (well softened!)
Pinch of salt

Directions:
1.       Empty Pumpkin into a bowl, and then add salt spices and cornstarch and mix until blended.
2.     Add the sugar, stir, then add the cream cheese, stir until all is blended.
3.     Mix the Creamer and Milk into an easy pour glass.  Add to the pumpkin mix, and stir well. Mix will be very liquidy! No worries, it will bake up just fine. :) 
4.     Bake in an unbaked pie shell at 450F for 10 minutes, then 350F for 1 hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment